I have a confession to make. When people first started using eco-friendly bags at the grocery store, I used to roll my eyes behind their back and accuse them of being “tree huggers”. Well, guess what? Now I’m one of them!

I could go into all the reasons why, like how I learned that most plastic bags take over 400 years to biodegrade and I was contributing to the mess. But I’llΒ stayΒ off my soapbox and let you visit this link if you’d like. Then I’ll give you a grocery bag option that makes being eco-friendly so fun, you’ll never want to go back to plastic again!

Envirosax bags are seriously the most amazing shopping bags ever invented (at least in my experience)!

They are beautiful…

They loop on your shoulder (which is sooo handy for lugging in the house!)…

They hold a TON. (The cashiers at the grocery store always gush about how much they can hold…I fit a cartful of groceries in 5 bags)…

And they fold down to practically nothing…

Oh, and did I mention you can wash them too? I put mine in the washer on the handwash cycle and hang them up to air dry.

If you want to get your hands on one of these, I highly recommend them. It costs a little money upfront, but you can use them for years! I’ve even used them for clothes shopping or for carrying things when my family travels.

Beautiful, convenient, and kind to God’s creation…This writer mom highly recommends!!!

Have you switched to reusable bags? Which is your favorite design of the pictures I showed?

*All photos are from Envirosax’s website: www.envirosax.com.

Writer Mom Recommends: Envirosax

39 thoughts on “Writer Mom Recommends: Envirosax

• November 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

Wow, I haven’t even thought about something like this, let alone seen one. They are pretty though and convenient. I think my problem would be remembering to bring them with me. lol

• November 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I know what you mean about remembering, Jessica! The cool thing about these is they fold down really small and fit in a carrying pouch. I hang it on a hook next to my purse, so I hardly ever forget. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 8:40 am

I do use reusable bags (and like you, thought about the tree hugger thing at first too:); I keep them in my car so I will remember to bring them into the store when I shop. I’ll have to check out this site, thanks!

• November 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

It is a little thing that makes a big difference. We have not switched but certainly need to consider it.

• November 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

So true, Slamdunk. If we all do a little, it adds up to a lot, right? πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

I use reusable bags when I go to Aldi, but mine aren’t nearly as cute as these. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I think a shopping spree is in order then, Julie…a shopping spree for shopping bags, that is. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

I like the first bag, those are some of my favorite colors. I haven’t gone to these b/c honestly, I haven’t given it much thought. You can fit a car full of groceries in 5 bags? Really? That’s worth it right there!

• November 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I was the same way, Jessica…Just never thought about it much and I never liked the reusable bags the grocery stores sell. Once I found these, I was convinced to switch. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 10:25 am

Hi Sarah. I’m new to your site. I found you through Katie’s blog and a few others.

I admit, I’m one of those who always thought “tree hugger” as well. But maybe I’ll look into this. Your arguments are certainly convincing, and you’re right…the bags are super cute!

• November 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hi Lindsay! I’m so glad you stopped by! Sounds like we have lots of mutual blogging friends. πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to check out your space…

• November 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

I’ve been a fan of re-usable shopping bags for years. I have several sturdy canvas ones from my favorite supermarket. They hold a lot, which is nice since our garage is below our house and I have to carry the groceries upstairs.

• November 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh wow, Keli, it sounds like you get a workout just from grocery shopping with all the stair climbing. Fewer trips are always welcome, I’m sure! πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Those are super cute! I haven’t switched yet – hangs head. I do have some of those bags we use for other stuff, but they aren’t nearly as chic. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Once you switch to “chic”, you won’t want to go back, Stacy. Promise. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

All those bags are super cute! I still use plastic bags, sorry πŸ™ But I do keep them and reuse them for carrying things here and there–I have one of those bag holders hanging in my closet and it’s full of the plastic bags I get so I can hold onto them and use them for something else. I really do like how much extra they hold, though…I feel myself being swayed πŸ˜‰

• November 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Yes, I’m swaying you, Cindy! πŸ™‚ I used to save all my plastic bags too. In fact, I still have a few on hand from those extra big grocery trips when my eco bags didn’t hold everything. They can come in handy for sure.

• November 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I do use green bags for shopping. Nothing fancy…just basic. I have for years now. I’m always buying them and my kids take them.

Love that Envirosax with the poppies on it. – my daughter would like that.

• November 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Too funny about your kids, Loree. Sounds like you need to put those bags on lockdown. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I have the green reusable bags for food shopping–but they are not as fashionable. πŸ™‚

Although somebody did give me a cute black one with whie polkadots that I keep in my purse for an emergency.

• November 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Sounds like you might have an excuse to do some shopping, Jennifer. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Cool! I have 5 or 6 re-usable bags, but I ALWAYS forget to take them into the store with me. However, I am really good about recycling those plastic shopping bags. I try to do my part, even if I can’t seem to remember my other bags. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I know what you mean about forgetting, Jenny! I usually remember when I have a big trip, but it’s those little last-minute trips that always get me.

• November 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

That seems like it would be a great little Christmas gift for people. Is that a weird gift?

I actually use plastic, b/c we reuse them to scoop our dogs’ poop when we walk them. I haven’t figured out a better way to do that, yet.

• November 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm

LOL, Heather, I’m not sure on the Christmas gift…I guess it’d be cool if you know they’d love it. If they think you’re trying to give them a not-so-subtle hint, maybe not. πŸ™‚

And yes, plastic bags are much better suited for dog poop. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

i use reusable shopping bags…but then again, i live in the hippie section of California….

my favorite reusable bag was the ultimate in recycling. these ladies at my church sewed together capri-sun bags (using a surger) into a very strudy bag that just now started ripping after almost a year. i can’t tell you how many compliments we get on reused drink containers. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Whoa, Jeannie, That bag sounds awesome! I’m jealous. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm

OK: true confession I misread your title at first.
    Whew! On to the topic at hand …
    I try to use reusable grocery bags, but usually forget them in my car. These are too cute, Sarah.

• November 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

LOL, Beth, That potential misread did cross my mind when I wrote the post, but I can’t help how they spell their product. πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Hi Sarah –

I occasionally use a tote bag, but prefer the plastic. I recycle them by using them as garbage bags. That way, I don’t have to purchase expensive trash bags. As far as fitting a cartful of groceries in 5 bags: it makes my back hurt just thinking about it!

Blessings,
    Susan πŸ™‚

• November 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Susan, That’s a great way to recycle your plastic bags! And yes, the 5 bags are a little heavier, but they’re also easier to carry because they’re sturdier. But no need to put your back out if they’d cause you problems! πŸ™‚

• November 3, 2011 at 7:54 am

Hi Sarah! I’ve seen you commenting on other blogs I follow, and had to come check yours out. Great recommend on the gorgeous shopping bags! I use the 99 cents bags my grocery store sells, but have been looking for something better to replace them. (they’re starting to fall apart) Thanks! Great blog!

• November 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hi Ayda! Thanks so much for stopping by! I totally understand your experience with the grocery store reusable bags. These Envirosax seem to hold up much longer!

• November 3, 2011 at 10:05 am

I’m sold! They are so chic! I went to the site and picked the After Dark 2 bag!

Thanks!

• November 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Sarah: I started using the bags from (a) a grocery store (6)
    (b) CVS( 4 but use 2) (c) Offic Depot (2) and (d) a generic- I lost one when I donated to a project at church.

I prefer them to plastic because of my fibromyalgia. And the tendacy of the store personnel to overfill the plastic one. And they used to tie the loops, which hurt my hands.

When I grocery shop at that store, I receive a credit on my bill of a nickel a bag. Most of the bags cost 99 cents. In 20
    trips to the store, a bag paid for itself,

CVS has a program where you purchase a bag (Cost used to be about $1.00) and a tag ( cost 99 cents). Each time you shop they scan your tag. Whenever you have four scans, You get an “Extra Buck” coupon for a dollar. But you can only scan the tag once a day.

• November 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I have lots of them, too. My purse always has a few tucked inside for any kind of shopping.