I know, I know. Today’s not my normal Top 5 day, but I couldn’t resist. The sugar cookies are calling, y’know?
So we all know the obvious exercise options to counterbalance holiday treats…join a gym, etc….but I thought I’d share some nonconventional ways to sneak in exercise this month (along with a serious recommendation for each)…
5. Cardio kickboxing at the toy store: Another mom is racing toward the last Pillow Pet? Uppercut and jab. Another dad is buying the last Thomas the Train set? Hook and roundhouse kick.
Seriously, though: Don’t be afraid to get out and go to a fitness class. It’ll relieve the stress of the holidays and you might just meet other people who want to get ahead at the toy store, too (Never hurts to know your competition :)).
4. Bicep curls: Stand with feet hip-width apart, elbows pressed into sides, hands gripping Chex Mix. Slowly lift to the mouth and lower back down to the party mix bowl. Repeat for 10 reps.
Seriously, though: It’s okay to eat your favorite holiday foods, but everything in moderation. Taking a break to enjoy each bite can force you to slow down and realize when your stomach has had enough.
3. Power Walk: When the only parking spot is at the back of the lot, tug that sherpa tight and pump those arms. Who cares if you look like a stuffed marshmallow on Red Bull?
Seriously, though: Even if the only spot is close to the store, why not park farther away? If it’s frigid outside, that’s just extra motivation to move quicker and burn a few more calories.
2. One-arm lat row: Stand with feet hip-width apart, slight bend at the waist, back straight. Reach one arm forward to grab refrigerator handle. Pull it open, squeezing shoulder blade into spine. Grab carton of eggnog, close door, and repeat.
Seriously, though: Make yourself work to earn those extra calories. Even if it’s just running up and down the stairs a couple times or doing ten sit-ups, it’s better than nothing. And those extra calories will taste so much better when you’ve already burnt a few of them off your hips.
1. Post-workout stretch: Lie face down on the floor, duck head under the Christmas tree, and pray your hand reaches the electrical outlet to plug in the lights.
Seriously, though: Who says you can’t incorporate exercise into your holiday decorating? Go up and down the ladder after hanging each ornament rather than stockpiling them up top. Incorporate a squat when you dig through the decorations box to find what you’re looking for. Don’t be embarrassed. Really. No one is watching…except maybe Santa ;).
How do you incorporate exercise into your holiday madness? What’s the biggest food temptation for you this season? Any other tips to add to my list?