(Warning: I might get a little fired up in today’s post, but have no fear. It’s still me, just a little more…well, fired up. :))

There’s an enemy that has been attacking women of faith across America.

I call it the number monster.

We’re all pumped up right now with New Years resolutions, right? Gyms across America will bloat from the influx of people vowing to lose weight this year. Weight Watchers will see a huge crowd of people sign up, claiming this will be the year they get their diet on track.

But what will those numbers look like in April?

Now don’t get me wrong, those resolutions are borne from genuine need. How many of us are unhappy with our bodies? With our weight? How many of us are so unhappy with how we look that we avoid doing certain things, going to certain places, because of how we look?

How many of us turn down opportunities to serve others because we don’t feel worthy? Or we don’t have the energy?

Trust me, I’ve been there.

Well, ladies, this is the year to change. This is the year to say that a session of Weight Watchers isn’t enough. A three-month gym membership isn’t enough.

What we need is a permanent lifestyle change. AΒ lasting change. And that starts in God’s Word.

“You surely know that your body is a temple where the Holy Spirit lives. The Spirit is in you and is a gift from God. You are no longer your own. God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God.” I Corinthians 6:19-20 (CEV)

This Scripture begs the question: How are you using your body to honor God? Are you filling it with junk food that wears it down and clogs its life? Or are you taking care of it as if God indwells it? Are you filling it with good food that gives you energy and health? The kind of energy andΒ health you need to serve to your fullest?

And what about exercise? Are you stagnant day in and day out, letting your muscles atrophy? Or are you building them up, bringing strength and endurance that’s needed to serve God the way He yearns to be served?

You see, I think we make a vital mistake in our efforts to lose weight. We think that it all has to do with us. We set our goals by the numbers. “I’ll lose ___ pounds.” “I’ll drop to size ___.” (And don’t feel alone…I’m just as guilty of this!)

But that’s not our calling. We’re called to see a different perspective–to strive to be our best for HIM. To drop those pounds so we can be the friends and wives and mothers we’re called to be, so we can volunteer more, so we can lend a helping hand without wearing ourselves out.

THAT’S the secret to our true health.

So instead of thinking of our diets and fitness goals as temporary, why not go deeper this year? Why not move beyond our numbers and how they gratify us and ask ourselves this question…

HOW CAN I USE MY HEALTH FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE KINGDOM?

Weight Loss Slimming Diet Concept, New Year Resolution, With Gre

Why Weight Watchers Will Never Work

32 thoughts on “Why Weight Watchers Will Never Work

• January 6, 2012 at 5:40 am

Good post and amen! I’m just thankful Weight Watchers brought in a new commercial because I (not at ALL a Jennfier Hudson fan anyway) couldn’t handle that new dawn, new day, new life commercial ONE MORE TIME. πŸ™‚

I didn’t really make new health goals…just pushed myself to ramp up the workouts, scale back the eating (again) and try to just make healthier choices. Those are promises I can live with. πŸ™‚

By the way. Welcome back. I missed you on your break. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Ah yes, the Weight Watchers commercials…Isn’t Charles Barkley in their new one? My hubby and I were watching TV and Charles came on and I just cracked up. Sad but true. πŸ™‚ Sounds like you’re taking a healthy approach to the new year, Bekah. (Oh, and it’s good to be back!) πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 6:36 am

So true. I’ve been going to the gym for a couple of years now. One day, I decided that I was too tired and weak (physically) to play with my son and do the things I wanted to do. That’s the time the gym workout plan stuck.

• January 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’ve been there, Julie. Kids are our best medicine, aren’t they?

• January 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

Completely agree with you, Sarah. (And it’s a great issue to get fired up about.) Thanks for the reminder that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Now, off to give it some exercise!

• January 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Enjoy that exercise, Heidi! And then celebrate with a smoothie. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’ve been a walker for many years now, and incorporate into my daily living. During those times when I’m unable to get out there and cover a few miles for a couple days in a row, I feel it right away. It’s more than just exercise, it’s thinking and reflecting and talking with whoever’s walking with me, it’s being with nature. So I second the thought that exercise, and diet, are far more than what they appear on the surface.

• January 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love walking too, Joanne! In fact, we’ve had a “warm” stretch here and I enjoyed a walk with my family last night after dinner. There’s no substitute for fresh air. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

It does need to be a lifestyle, teamed with scriptural principles. I think with this mindset, we can go the distance and reap better and genuine results. I like to look at it through sowing and reaping – are we sowing good things for our body with our actions?

Happy weekend!

• January 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Yes! Great analogy, Karen. I took my kids for their doctor checkups today, and there was a poster that said “You are what you eat”. It showed a picture of a boy made of donuts versus a strong boy made of fruits and vegetables. Goes right along with your theme, I’d say. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

Amen, sister! It’s not enough of a goal to want to change for myself. But changing for God? That’s definitely worthwhile.

• January 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It absolutely is worthwhile, Lindsay. It’s something I’m still working on for myself too.

• January 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

For years I refused to own a scale b/c of the way #s would mess with me. I base it on how I feel and if my energy is up and my flab is not blowing in the wind. I love the reminder of how our bodies our temples. Such a needed reminder. It’s hard to remember to take care of myself b/c I’m always so busy caring for my kids, the house, my man, etc. But it’s so important.

• January 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Flab blowing in the wind…LOL! I can’t imagine you ever having flab, Wendy! πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

Amen. The wonderful blessing is when we do things to glorify Him, our hearts sing. I started a fitness routine of swimming 3x per week. I can use my increased stamina for more energy to serve Him.

• January 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Eat more protein and less carbs. Being a mashed taters and gravy gal, that’s a stretch. I always eat fairly healthy and natural, but that’s my one weakness.

Happy Weekend, Sarah!

• January 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I think a girl’s allowed to indulge once in a while, Cynthia. I won’t tell… πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’m with you too! Together, Hubby and I put the holidays behind us and are eating healthy and exercising more – she says as she tries hard not to relive the daily carrot juice and Green Goodness she just downed by force. Blaackk!

I know, I know, it’s good for me, but Hubby makes it two thirds carrot juice…ick.

The Vitamix and my liver is getting a workout!

• January 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Really, really good post, Sarah. Wow, don’t really have anything else to add, except really good. I’m glad you got so fired up, you’ve given me much to think on! You’ve a way with words that amazes me. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks, Casey! As you may have noticed, I’m sorta passionate about this topic. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

You make a valid point. I have a friend who did Weight Watchers and has seemed to keep it off. But, she’s one of the few. For me, I am trying to cut out sugars and white flour. I already try to stay away from fried foods and grease and fat. When we have hamburgers at home, we use ground round.
    I need to stay away from pop- I have this thing for Ginger Ale. When I was at the store this morning, I was amazed at the amount of sugars in fruit juice. I chose diet Cran-cherry.Practically everyone I know is trying to do something about their food regimen.

• January 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm

It sounds like you’re making wise choices, Cecelia! I think a little cheating is okay and actually necessary. Otherwise we get all hung up on missing our vice and that usually leads to bingeing later. πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I most definitely heard the fire in your voice today, Sarah. And I love your perspective.
    And I’m thinking how does what you shared today tie into my word choice for 2012? (The word is “trust.”) Because I don’t do resolutions … I focus on a word.
    But I like what you said … you’re right.
    And I don’t want to just nod and think about it. I want to do something with it.

(And I enjoyed seeing you today over at Keli Gwyn’s blog!)

• January 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hmm, trust….That’s a good word, Beth. I think a lot of women tackle their weight loss goals in their own strength, and when their willpower caves, so does the diet. If we put our eyes heavenward and *trust* ;), we’ll have divine power at work in us to make a lasting change. How does that sound? πŸ™‚

• January 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I love the way you tie our relationship with the Lord to our stewardship of our bodies. The scriptures have a lot to say about the subject.

My gym is super crowded in January, but the numbers dwindle by February.

I’ve had gym memberships for years AND go 3-4 times per week. If I skip I notice it affects my physical health and my energy levels. 99.9% of the time I don’t feel like working out, but I’m always glad when I do. If I miss a few sessions because of illness or vacation, I make sure I get back into my routine as soon as possible.

May all our resolutions become commitments to Him.

• January 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This is SUCH a great point! It’s so easy to get caught up in external measurements, and before we know it, we’re doing it for the wrong reasons. We should think of how we’re glorifying Christ in every aspect of our lifestyle. Thanks for the reminder.

• January 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have had great success with weight watchers. Let me explain how. I lost 50 pounds 4 1/2 years ago and have stayed below my goal weight since then. How did I do it? With a lot of prayer. I used weight watchers as my accountability go to. I weigh in only once a month since I am a life time member. I don’t stay for the meetings because I get absolutely nothing out of them. I actually have a hard time sitting through one without laughing hysterically at the silliness of it all. God and only God has gotten me through. I also exercise daily except on Sundays. I give my body a rest day. I hope this post makes sense to those who read it!

• Pingback: My Top Fitness Recommendations for the New Year | Sarah Forgrave