6 Biblical Promises for Moments of Doubt

Do you ever find yourself waffling between self-confidence and doubt? Between believing in your God-given gifts in one moment, then feeling worthless and useless in the next?

I’ve been there lately, and I have a feeling I’m not alone in this. So I thought I’d share some promises straight from God’s Word that have kept me going in those moments of doubt. I pray they encourage you as much as they have me.

—–

“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” ~ Deut. 31:8

“Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.” ~ Psalm 37:4-6

“For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver. You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.” ~ Psalm 66:10-12

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” ~ Isaiah 26:3

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” ~ Phil. 4:6-7

And my personal favorite…

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” ~ Isaiah 40:28-31

Isaiah 40_31

—–

Does one of these speak to you in particular? What seasons of life have you been facing lately? Any promises you’ve been clinging to that you’d like to share?

6 Biblical Promises for Moments of Doubt

30 thoughts on “6 Biblical Promises for Moments of Doubt

• January 11, 2012 at 7:20 am

Ah, I love Isaiah 40:31…such a good verse that reminds me that in my weariness, God will carry me. Thanks for the encouragement, Sarah!

• January 11, 2012 at 8:03 am

Isaiah 26:3 has special meaning for me. The Lord brought this scripture to mind shortly before I went into surgery. I was able to go through the experience with His perfect peace.

• January 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Susan, I love it when God uses certain passages at poignant times like that. I have a few of those as well. 🙂

• January 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

My life’s been on a learning curve lately, opening my eyes to new ways of writing and moving forward with the craft. Learning is always a wonderful way to expand our skills and our thinking too.

• January 11, 2012 at 8:43 am

Love Isaiah 40. Love all of those, but Isaiah is closest to me pretty much at all seasons. As a life runner and a runner runner. I’m reclaiming God’s truth in my life lately after taking somewhat of a beating.

• January 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

It does apply to all seasons, doesn’t it, Wendy? He will lift you up!

• January 11, 2012 at 8:51 am

Sarah, this is just what the doctor ordered- His Word!

My scripture is 2 Corinthians 4:8-18. Every time I want to crumble this is what I say to myself and my joy returns!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

You raise such a great point, Tamika. Scripture is the only sure way to bring joy back into our lives.

• January 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

What a blessing this is this morning! Thanks so much, Sarah! Another I love is Isaiah 41:10.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

I can totally lean into this verse. Also love Phil. 4 as you quoted. Thanks again. God bless!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love the image of Him holding us with His hand, Heidi! What a powerful hand that is! 🙂

• January 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

I read these early this morning, but didn’t have time to comment. I was so blessed by each one and then 2 of them were in a study I’m doing right now. Great re-enforcement!

I love that He’s gone before us, goes before us. The future isn’t scary when I know He’s already been there for me. 🙂

LOVE!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Yes, I love that Deuteronomy scripture too, Jessica! I’ve drawn on it while driving through a thunderstorm and while preparing for surgery. It’s a great multi-tasker. 🙂

• January 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

You don’t even need to ask if I struggle with doubt! I’m the founding member of that club! Isaiah 26:3 was a verse I memorized in a recent Bible study – actually I laminated it and stuck it right above my bathroom sink. Thank you for posting about this and for all the reminders that everything flows from Him alone! Good stuff!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Then I’m a fellow founding member, Lacie! 🙂 Glad this spoke to you today.

• January 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Such an inspiring post. Thank you, Sarah.

I’m in a brand new season. I do find myself waffling at times. It’s silly when the promises are right in front of us.
    My personal verse is:
    For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~Jeremiah 29:11

• January 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh yes, I forgot about that one, Loree! That’s a great Scripture to lean on, especially in new seasons. 🙂

• January 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I have been there in some areas lately. Thanks for the scriptures and encouragement!

• January 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I was thinking today of the verse “be still and know that I am God.” Sometimes I think that means literally be still/quiet/less busy to remember Him. But I think it could also mean be still/not overly anxious/stressed. If our will is aligned with His, things will happen in His way and time table.

• January 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Oh wow, such a great point, Stacy. I definitely need to be still more often.

• January 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I must say Isaiah 26:3 speaks to me the most. Maybe because my word this year is Focus. I’ve been struggling with clarity, but now feel like I have focus. These are all great. Thanks!

• January 11, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Focus and steadfast just seem to fit together, don’t they, Lynn?

• January 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Isaiah 55:8 is my verse this year – reminding me that His ways are beyond mine…and really, what is there to fear in that? (And yet I do…)

Been reading Angie Smith’s book “What Women Fear” – HUGE encouragement. Love it!

• January 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I LOVED your post the other day, Bekah! It sounds like a great book!

• January 12, 2012 at 1:45 am

these were a great reminder of everything we have in store for us as believers. we’re entitled to these amazing benefits!! it uplifted me for sure. thanks, girl.