‘Tis the season for New Years resolutions! And how many of us wrote, “Get in shape,” on our list? (If you read my post last week, you were hopefully challenged to rethink why we’re doing what we’re doing.)
I’ve been working hard to get back in shape for the past six months. (Babies have a way of messing with the body, y’know?) And in the process, I’ve discovered I’m addicted to variety in my workouts.
So I decided to share my top recommendations for ways to get in shape this year.
Get your heart pumping with cardio:
1. Zumba (or Latin fusion/ballroom dance) — I love, love, love Zumba! It requires a teeny bit of coordination, but if that intimidates you, the music alone will make you want to move.
2. Cardio kickboxing — This doesn’t require as much coordination as Zumba, and it’s a great stress reliever. (Just think of punching all your worries away!)
3. Walking/running — Good old standbys. All you need is a road or a track and you can move to your heart’s content.
Sculpt your muscles with toning:
1. Pilates — Pilates focuses on breathing control and strengthening your core (abs and back). You’ll discover muscles you never knew you had!
2. Yoga — While many people think of yoga as meditation and stretching, it’s also great for toning muscles as you hold poses. And if you’re not sure about the meditation aspect, you can find all different levels of “ohm”. My church hosts yoga classes that don’t get “ohm-y” at all, so you can look for that type of venue.
3. Kettlebells — For an all-around toning workout, kettlebells offer variety and challenge.
4. Zumba Toning — Yes, Zumba has toning classes! It combines dance movements with muscle strengthening. Gotta love that!
And for a cardio/toning combo, there are all sorts of boot camp and circuit training classes out there. These pack a major fitness punch and target all your muscle groups for maximum calorie burn.
So look for these options near you and get moving this week!
Have you tried any of these workouts? Do any of them intimidate you? What can you do to get moving this week?