My son recently turned four, and I’ve discovered I’m entering a new stage of parenthood. (Do the changes ever stop? :)) So I thought I’d have some fun and share what this new stage has introduced to my life…

5. All electronics require parental controls since your four-year-old has mastered the remote, the mouse, and the touchpad.

4. Not only do you read books to your child, you’re now expected to play all the parts, complete with costumes.

3. As much as you’d love a bar of chocolate, you’ll have to settle for another game of CandyLand.

2. After lots of practice, you can explain why the sky is blue, why cars have wheels, and what “Yippee” and “Woohoo” mean.

1. Despite the fact that you’ll cry when your son or daughter goes to kindergarten, you’re happy to pass the question-answering on to a qualified teacher.

Do you have any preschool children in your home? Any memories from when your children were this age? Or any advice for a mom like me who’s just trying to survive? 🙂

*photo by digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Top 5 Signs You’re Entering the Preschool Stage of Motherhood

44 thoughts on “Top 5 Signs You’re Entering the Preschool Stage of Motherhood

• January 18, 2012 at 5:46 am

Good for you for being so involved! I have newfound appreciation for the time my mom took to play board games, paper dolls, etc with me when I was that age. She was an older mom (my sisters were out of high school by then) and probably would have much rather napped…but she took the time to entertain me!

• January 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’m in awe of your mom too, Bekah! Naps are tempting to me at this age…I can’t imagine having a preschooler when I’m much older. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 6:56 am

Believe it or not, I loved the preschool days. They were so hard, but so much fun at the same time. Some day you’ll look back on them and smile because: A. you were a fantastic mom for playing that extra game even though you were exhausted, and B. you’re still in the same size jeans because you burned off all those calories before you got to the candy bar. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm

LOL, Ayda, I like the way you think! And I agree, this stage is quickly becoming one of my favorites. We’re past the temper tantrum phase and haven’t entered the attitude phase yet. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 8:44 am

Wow, I’m getting ready to exit this stage and yes, charades is BIG in our home. And answering questions even bigger. A nail, a pencil, and a doorknob inspire philosophical questions you’d never imagine a 4yo could even think up.

Advice? Hmm, cook with them. It’s one of my favorite things to do w/ my almost 5yo.

• January 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Great advice, Wendy! I tend to forget that this is the perfect age to cook together. (And somehow the philosophical questions from your 4yo don’t surprise me. ;))

• January 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

Thanks for making me laugh this morning, Sarah! At five and six, my little guys just graduated the preschool stage. For the first time in almost seven years, I have some quiet!
    I think I miss reading to them more than anything. We’d sit for hours reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and many more. Now with school, homework, Boy Scouts, and basketball, I miss those long uninterrupted times with my sons.
    At least there’s always summer… 😉

• January 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

That’s a great point about reading, Heidi. I’m loving that about this stage too. My son’s attention span is so much longer than it was. I’ll have to remember to treasure it.

• January 18, 2012 at 9:26 am

My son is three. When we read before bed, he likes to read (aka – jabber) along with me. He gets so loud that I usually give up and let him read to me instead. The stories he comes up with are usually more entertaining than the book anyway. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

No advice since I don’t have kids yet, but believe me, I’m enjoying reading your blog and picking up tips along the way for when it is my turn! 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

LOL, Lindsay, You might just have a book full when I’m done. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m out of the preschool stage, but I enjoyed those ages so much! I babysat yesterday for a toddler and I wondered how I got anything done when my kids were little. Maybe I didn’t!

• January 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm

LOL, Jessica, yeah pretty much. I rely on the TV when I really have to get something done. Terrible, I know… :/

• January 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

My kids are grown, and I am so proud of the people they’ve become. My advice is to enjoy every moment, every stage…their childhood goes by in the blink of an eye!

• January 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Great advice, Loree. I’m amazed already at how quickly the stages have flown.

• January 18, 2012 at 11:32 am

Like Loree, I’m an Empty Nester and have similar advice. Although a day when your child is young and full of questions can seem never-ending, the years fly by, so savor each stage of your child’s development.

My other bit of advice is to keep answering those questions, even when you think you’ve reached the limit of your endurance. This teaches your child to turn to you first, which is a good thing when the questions deal with more serious subjects later on. Keeping the lines of communication open pays off big time as a child navigates the sometimes choppy waters of the teen years.

As for those “Why is the sky is blue?” type of questions, I had an easy out. I’d tell our daughter we’d save them to ask her science teacher daddy when he got home from school. =)

• January 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Oh wow, Keli, I love your advice about answering questions! You’re so right. I definitely want to keep those communication lines open. And too funny about your husband. A scientist would be pretty handy at my house these days. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

My second son turned 4 Dec 28th. I am definitely there. It’s such a fun age! Granted, I haven’t met an age I don’t like yet. 😀

• January 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hi Nisa! Isn’t it wild how there’s almost an invisible switch that flips when they turn four? It’s like we can suddenly breathe a little easier (but just a little :)).

• January 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My preschooler told me this morning that we could get more money by buying more toys, because “the lady at the checkout gives you money back. So it’s more.”

If only life really worked that way. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Love this post because I can definitely identify with it. My older two kiddos are of the elementary age, but my youngest is a vivacious two-year old who is very, VERY active (and quite vocal too). He requires a lot of attention and since he is my last bambino (sparring any surprises of course), I think I’m trying to hold on to every shred of “babyhood,” I can. Unfortunately, he wants to grow (and explore, and scream, and demo anything and everything within my home), which means all of my efforts have been in vain.

I too am in the survival mode at this point. In fact, just this morning, I was contemplating whether my older kids also had multiple personalities at the toddler stage like my youngest is currently displaying. In one second flat, he can change from a caring sweetheart of a kid to horrendous, tantrum-throwing, dictator in diapers.

I have no advice, but am right there with you.

• January 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm

LOL, Jenny, I tend to do the same thing with my 18-mo-old daughter. I know I baby her sometimes, but it’s so hard not to! 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh the questions! I often wonder how I can treasure and despise them all at the same time! 🙂 I do my best with all their little ponderings but must admit towards the end of the day, when question 582 rolls along, my answers are probably no where near correct! There’s just no more brain power! “Why is the sky blue?? I don’t know. Maybe a little kid let go of his blue balloon and as it flew up into the sky it popped and sprayed blue color everywhere.” That or the God answer always works. “I don’t know honey. But one day when we get to heaven, you can ask God all about that.”

Funny post today Sarah! Our kids are always great material, aren’t they? LOL!

• January 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

LOL, Lacie! I love your sky theory. And yep, I totally use the God answer too. “Because God made it that way.” End of story. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m right there with you about playing all the roles in their favorite stories. My daughter’s favorite thing to do is play Belle or Snow White while I play all the less desirable roles like Gaston or the evil Queen. Glad I’m not alone!

• January 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Haha, Rachael! Not sure which would be worse…playing the evil queen or the ugly frog. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Ah yes, the changing seasons of a mom’s life – just about the time you get one figured out, they grow into another. Well, it makes for great stuff to write about! 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

So true, Karen! And now I’ve got it all documented for when my kids get older (which I’m sure they’ll love). 😉

• January 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I think every year they turn older brings a new set of fun and exciting things but challenges as well. Right now I’ve got a daughter about to turn two – and I keep thinking “was it like this with my boys?” It’s been too long since they were at that age that I’ve forgotten. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I know what you mean, Stacy! And I keep worrying that I’m neglecting something important in her development too. With my son, I was so “by the book”, but I feel like I’ve thrown it all out with the second child. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Oh yes, lots of preschoolers. And no, the changes don’t seem to stop. I’m constantly feeling my way with the oldest. He’s 7 now and that presents a bunch of new things to wade through. lol You’re nice to play more than one game with your kids. I’m at one then done. lol
    Enjoy! It goes by so fast that I’m sad sometimes about it.

• January 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh boy, I’m scared to think of the challenges at 7, Jessica. Yikes! 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Candyland was always a fun game around my house too. Advice? Just be careful of those motion sensitive talking toys that have no on/off button!

• January 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hi Sarah –

I don’t have any little ones, but have read Dr. Dobson’s books. He gives wonderful advice.

Blessings,
    Susan

• January 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

I agree, Susan. He does give great advice. And we’re also reading a book by Kevin Leman, which has been awesome!

• January 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm

That was cute! Questions are big in our house. My almost 5-year-old is full of them, as was my oldest when she was that age. I guess it seems to get a little easier with each one but it doesn’t mean it’s not exhausting 🙂

• January 19, 2012 at 9:59 am

LOL, Cindy. I suppose by the time your third is 5, you’ll have all the answers documented and ready. 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 11:59 pm

nope. i stare in trepidation at this post. maddy will turn four next month, so i still have a while to go. but yikes. what the heck is a working mother to do with school that ends at 12:50??!?

• January 19, 2012 at 10:00 am

The questions’ll be coming soon, Jeannie! Just get ready. 🙂

• January 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m on preschooler #4. It’s a lot of work, but for the most part, I love it. What’s been different with this one is that I have older ones now who are so into him and help with him all the time. I feel more relaxed in some ways and more confident than I did with some of the others.

Too bad you can’t start out with 20-year experience at year 1!