Iโ€™m so excited to share a healthy recipe today!

Now I know for some of you, the thought of grilled tuna is not very appealing. But fish is too good for you to ignore (and so is this recipe). ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you know the American Heart Association recommends you eat two servings of fish per week?ย Fatty fish like salmon and tuna are rich in omega-3’s, which are an essential component in reducing heart disease.

One of my favorite ways to eat tuna is to grill it. You can find tuna steaks in the meat department of your local grocery store. (The fresh stuff is really expensive, but you can find a cheaper version that’s flash-frozen.)

Now I’m not gonna lie and say this is my kids’ favorite meal. But it’s perfect for a special dinner with your spouse. Or if the kids are around, you can always feed them an easy-to-make dish on the side. We grown-ups deserve to treat ourselves sometimes, right?

So here it isโ€ฆ

Sarah's Easy Grilled Tuna Steaks

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 4 tuna steaks (about 6 ounces each)
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh lemon, cut in half
  • Minced garlic
  • Fresh minced basil (or dried basil works too)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Instructions

1. Drizzle both sides of the tuna steaks with oil, then squeeze half of the lemonโ€™s juice on top. Rub the garlic, basil, salt, and pepper on both sides of the steaks, seasoning to your taste.
  2. Grill, covered, or broil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until done to your preference. (I like a little bit of pink in the center so it doesnโ€™t get too dried out.)
  3. Serve with the other half of the fresh lemon.

Notes

If broiling, fill the bottom of the broil pan with a little bit of water. It keeps the meat from losing too many juices and makes cleanup easier.

Thatโ€™s it! Super easy, healthy, and delicious.

Hereโ€™s what they look like โ€œBefore the Grillโ€ and โ€œAfter the Grill.” For an all-out healthy meal, I recommend pairing them with baked sweet potatoes and a fresh salad.

Yum!

Easy Grilled Tuna Steak Recipe

29 thoughts on “Easy Grilled Tuna Steak Recipe

• February 17, 2012 at 5:50 am

Well I’m not a fish eater (ever, for any reason) and most of the time I can’t even stomach the smell of it, but let me tell you about “tuna” specifically. I say “tuna” – because is the stuff in the can really even meat?

I once worked next to a guy who ate tuna and crackers every day for lunch IN his office – and then for reasons (blissfully) unknown to me, he’d put lotion on his hands – and it was always baby lotion. I cannot explain to you the aroma of baby lotion and tuna combined except to say…I can no longer handle the smell of either one. LOL!!!!

• February 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh. My. Word. That smell combo sounds AWFUL, Bekah! I don’t blame you for staying far, far away from tuna! ๐Ÿ™‚

And a little tip on canned tuna if you ever feel brave…I like the white albacore tuna (it’s usually marked as “very low sodium”). It doesn’t have a strong fishy taste…it’s almost more like chicken (like every other meat in the world, right? :)).

• February 17, 2012 at 6:05 am

Lovely idea! I will definitely be making these healthy and delicious steaks! Thank you for sharing!

• February 17, 2012 at 6:28 am

I’ve never made tuna steaks. We eat salmon, but that’s about it. It looks great!

• February 17, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I think I like these even better than salmon, Julie. But it’s a close call. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 6:30 am

Salmon fillets wrapped up in foil with white wine, butter and dill – perfect!

• February 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

Um, I might have just thrown up a little. ๐Ÿ˜› Alright, I admit, I’m not a fish eater. I can’t stand the smell of places like Red Lobster. But my husband loves it, so maybe I should try something like this. The things we do for love…

But I do love the healthy recipes you post here, so please, keep that up!

• February 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

LOL, Lindsay, I don’t think this has a super strong fish flavor. But if you’re really sensitive, you might disagree with me. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

Never tried tuna steaks. May have to! Have a great weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Just think of all those omega-3s, and you’ll be inspired, Karen. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy weekend to you!

• February 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

Looks great! My favorite type of fish to eat is stuffed cod–you know, the really unhealthy kind loaded with butter and calories…

I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks Sarah!

• February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh yeah, Heidi, Anything stuffed is a winner in my book. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 9:03 am

Nope, I’m not a big fish eater. But my husband and my son-in-love love to man the grill. So, I’m game to try this recipe!

• February 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi Beth! I love letting my hubby man the grill. It’s almost the same as Mom’s Night Off. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

Sarah, I like, like, like, really LIKE fish! We have fish probably once a week. I do pink salmon fillets in the oven. I spray my pan with olive oil, lightly drizzle or spray a coating of olive oil over the tops of the fish, shake some Italian bread crumbs over the fish (this adds a nice crispy coating), and then bake. Serve with lemon and fresh dill. Totally easy, deelish, and packed with vitamins.

Love your recipe, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Oh yum, Cindy! I made a similar version of salmon last week, except I didn’t think to put bread crumbs on top. That sounds delish!

• February 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yum! Sounds good! We throw some lemon and capers over our tuna steaks.

• February 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oohhh, I never thought about topping with capers, Loree. That sounds amazing!

• February 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm

The only fish I’ll eat is canned tuna. Once in a while, I’ll try a fish stick. Ugh. I can’t get past the smell and that fishy taste.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

LOL, Susan, canned tuna has an extra strong smell. The steaks don’t seem quite as potent. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 18, 2012 at 3:02 am

love fish. especially halibut, which is plentiful over here. a local eatery fixes it with a butter lemon-pepper something or other sauce over a broiled fillet and it’s to die for. when we have cooked it at home, we’ve used Emeril’s fish rub and that’s really good. my husband caught a salmon last year (fresh and FREE – well, not so free when you count the $$ that went into his fishing hobby) that he made a sauce out of mustard, honey, brown sugar, and soy cause that was SO good. mmmm…makes me want it now. ๐Ÿ™‚ will have to give this a try. i’m not a huge fan of garlic, though. does it cook in well?

• February 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I bet you could just eliminate the garlic, Jeannie. I’ve made it both ways, and it has plenty of flavor without it.