In order to read this post right now, you’ve gotten out of bed today, clicked on your computer or phone and pulled up this page, and your eyes have focused enough to see what’s here.
Things that seem so ordinary…But the intricacy of those movements is nothing short of a miracle.
In my health and fitness learning, the thing that always strikes me is how intricately we are made. The way God designed our bodies truly is miraculous and it’s something only HE could do. What creativity!
To showcase His handiwork, I thought I’d share a few facts. (I figure some of you may have forgotten these since 10th grade biology like I did.) 🙂
– The skeleton consists of 206 bones. Our bones work together with muscles and joints to allow movement. (Think of all the tiny joints and muscles that work together just so you can type a sentence.)
– Our body adapts to different forms of exertion, giving us the exact fuel we need for short bursts of energy or long stretches of exercise.
– The heart is a four-chambered organ that collects blood from the body, sends it to the lungs for oxygenation, then pumps it throughout the body.
– Water accounts for about 60% of our body weight, and it helps regulate our body temperatures and carry nutrients to cells.
– 60% of our muscle make-up is involuntary, meaning it adapts to the needs of the heart and aids in digestion and blood flow without us even thinking about it.
I don’t know about you, but these things remind me to thank my Creator. Whenever I criticize something about the way I’m designed, I’m criticizing HIM. And the miracle of this vessel He’s entrusted to me…I don’t want to let it go to waste.
What about you? Did any of these facts surprise you or interest you? What takeaways come to mind when you think of your intricate design?
*athlete photo by lzf/BigStock.com