All right, moms, I know theΒ noise is inevitable. But if you reach your end, here are some options.

5.Β Put a pillowcase over your head and pretend to be part of the bedspread.

4.Β Tell your kids you’ve developed an ear condition that requires absolute silence and could result in a spinach diet if not followed properly.

3. Play a game of hide-and-seek. When it’s your turn to hide, sneak out to the minivan and go for a drive.

2. Schedule back-to-back dentist appointments. Then ask the doctor if you can spend the second hour lying on the chair by yourself.

1. There’s always Benadryl.

*Disclaimer: These are for humor purposes only and are not real suggestions. If you do any of these things in real life, you’ll bear the sole responsibility for any arrests or doctor bills that follow.

Any other moms out there craving peace and quiet once in a while? How do you make time for yourself in the midst of life’s chaos?

*To fit the theme of peace and quiet, I have an article posting on Ungrind today called Protesting Rest. For a slightly more serious lookΒ at how I’ve learned to seek rest, come on over and visit.

**Photo by photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Top 5 Tips for Moms Seeking Peace and Quiet

38 thoughts on “Top 5 Tips for Moms Seeking Peace and Quiet

• April 25, 2012 at 6:07 am

I’d have to be pretty desperate to try the back to back dentist appointment one. πŸ™‚ Maybe this is why I don’t have kids. lol. I have been known to sneak away via the car though…love those stolen quiet moments with just me and God! Did that one just last week at lunch!

• April 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

LOL, Bekah, I suppose the dentist one could work if you tune out the drill next door. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 6:24 am

Hahaa, cute tips! I’m a huge fan of the seven/seven thirty bedtime. I also gave my kiddos naps and when they get to loud, I send them outside or to their rooms for a little bit of a quiet time. My sister is hilarious. She tricks her kids into playing a game where they press their lips tightly together and see who can hold it the longest. lol

• April 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

That sounds like a brilliant game, Jessica! And we do 7:30 bedtimes in our house too. I’ve had to give up my son’s naptime so he’ll actually fall asleep at 7:30 though. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 6:37 am

The youngest of my five children is a high school senior now, but back in the day, when all five were home and I was home schooling them and therefore spending nearly 24/7 with my children (I miss those days), creating a little daily zone of peace and quiet was of vital importance to my own sanity. I instituted a virtually inviolable household rule when my first child was very young, which rule remains in effect to this day (I have young grandchildren who often visit): after lunch, everybody shorter than me takes a nap. (I’m just under 5’4″). Especially as they got older, they knew that they weren’t required to sleep (e.g., they could read or look at books), but they had to be on their beds and silent during that period of the day.

Over the years, this rule accomplished two purposes: first, I had an hour or two every day of quiet in the house, during which I could work on my own projects, read, or, often, take a nap myself. Second, and actually more important, they had an hour or two of enforced quiet during the day that allowed them to wind down a bit, which avoided the spiral of over-tired/over-stimulated kids leading to fussing and etc. during the “arsenic hour” when I was trying to prepare dinner.

The rule applied (and still applies) to everyone in the house — my own kids, friends’ kids that I was caring for, and now my grandchildren. Simple rule, great results: After lunch, everybody shorter than me takes a nap.

πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I love that rule, Laura! I’m 5’4 too, so that could work well for me. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 7:09 am

Lol. I get up at 5am for my peace and quiet. Also, my three-year-old son loves to pretend to “tuck me into bed.” It’s one of my favorite games to play because I get to lay in bed while he plays πŸ˜‰

• April 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I tried the 5am thing, Julie, and my extroverted son figured it out. *sigh* Maybe I didn’t give him enough Benadryl. πŸ˜‰ j/k

• April 25, 2012 at 8:40 am

Teehee, oh boy, can’t wait to have kids! πŸ˜› I’m glad you put the disclaimer on there, because someone out there probably would have read it, left their children alone for the day (the minivan suggestion), and blamed you when CPS came knocking at their door. You narrowly escaped that one! Ha.

• April 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

LOL, Lindsay. Yes, I want to avoid CPS knocking on anyone’s doors! These suggestions are all in good fun. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

These are hilarious! I’ve faked sleeping before. It works better with my DD than my DS. He’s all about “me”. Sheesh! πŸ˜‰ I get up early for peace and quiet and sometimes, I really do leave my house but my daughter is old enough to babysit now. Woohoo!

• April 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ohhh, how nice to have a daughter who can babysit, Jessica! I’m a little afraid to think of my son babysitting when he’s older because it’ll probably involve hitting his sister into submission. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m with Jessica on this one. Early bedtime for my little ones, lots of outside playtime and quiet time (for at least an hour) every afternoon…just so I can breathe. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

LOL! I totally could not resist a post with this title. So glad I came. Got such a kick out of the dentist suggestion.

• April 25, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ha #1 Ha! πŸ˜€ And I’m really good at hiding (as proven by my post today). I’m an ostrich hider. You’d love the craft I came up with the other day. Basically had wee one stick toothpicks in a paper towel holder and popped an apple lady head on top.

• April 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Did you say craft, Wendy? I’m as uncrafty as they come. My poor kids…

• April 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

OKay, I’m not a mom, but these made me burst out laughing!

Especially Benadryl.

Only, a warning. My sister reacts the opposite of most kids to Benadryl – she. goes. crazy. I hear that’s sometimes the case with codeine. Me, it knocks me out solid. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’ve heard that about Benadryl too, Melissa. Never tested it on my kids to find out. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 11:43 am

Oh yes! The peace and quiet for me can typically be found at naptime and bedtime. And sometimes through frequent trips to the bathroom. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

LOL! I think my mom believed in #1!

• April 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Love your creativity, Sarah.

As an empty nester, I’m well past the days of needing a break from our DD. In fact, I’m now in a position of hoping to hear from her. Even so, I can well remember my preschool mom season when a day could feel like an eternity. I was in love with Barney because the purple dinosaur gave me a half-hour vacation each day. =)

• April 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

LOL, Keli, My current half-hour vacation is being provided by Mickey Mouse. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Too funny! Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is about the only break I get too!

• April 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I know, right, Amy? Thus why I can be heard humming the hot dog dance all day long.

• April 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh goodness! Too funy!!! My favorite was the one that involved a spinach diet if the kids weren’t quiet enough. πŸ™‚

• April 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I understand Susannah Wesley would put her apron over her head. It was a signal to her children that she was praying.

• April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’ve heard that as well, Susan. Sounds like a great idea to me! πŸ™‚

• April 26, 2012 at 12:27 am

i usually lock the door to the bathroom, as it’s the only room in this place that locks.

however, monday, i was particularly effective at getting some peace and quiet. i came home from work, fully expecting to work out, and i made the mistake of playing “sleeping kittens” with my daughter. problem was, i was exhausted enough to simply fall asleep…and it was around 6 p.m. next thing i know, my husband is waking me up around 8 saying that i might want to get dressed for bed or get up and eat. i mean, i fell asleep playing with her! jeannie = mom of the year.

• April 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

LOL I will pass these on to my daughter who is pregnant with number 2!! I am so glad I am past all this but I do remember that want!

• April 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

I’m sure your daughter will be able to relate, Terri! Number 2 is definitely a game-changer. πŸ™‚

• April 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

When my kids were too old for naps and old enough to occupy themselves I instituted a “quiet time” in the afternoons. They had to read (or look at books) or play quietly in their rooms for about 30 minutes. I used this time for my devotions or just a bit of down time.

• April 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I do a similar thing, Karen. Except my son’s “quiet time” usually involves the TV. :/