Thank you to everyone who prayed for my surgery last Friday! It went well and I’m settled back in at home.
Going through the recovery process has brought back a lot of memories for me, since I’ve had my fair share of medical issues and surgeries in the last 5 years. I don’t say that to have a pity party, but to share how I’ve been blessed by the generosity and thoughtfulness of others.
Sometimes I think we’re unsure how to help someone who’s going through medical difficulties or surgeries. Of course we know to pray, but I’m focusing on hands-on types of things today.
I hope this list of ideas will nudge you to reach out to someone in your life who may need a hand. And who knows…God may use you to draw that person closer to Him.
Practical Ways to Help:
1) Deliver a meal or collaborate with friends to set up a meal schedule.
2) If you can’t cook (or even if you can!), give a gift card for carryout or pizza delivery.
3) If the person has young children, offer to watch them for a day or two. Or if you can’t commit to a full day, even a few hours will help!
4) If they have older children, offer to drive them to their practices and events.
5) Offer to help with housecleaning or laundry. In between laundry loads, you can share a cup of coffee or tea.
6) Hand-deliver flowers.
7) Write an encouraging note.
8) If you’re going to get groceries, call and ask if you can pick up something for your friend.
9) Bring them books to read. (After a major surgery, my mother-in-law brought me a bag full of inspirational novels. I spent my recovery reading them, and at the end, I heard the distinct call to start writing books. You never know how something simple could change the course of someone’s life!)
I know I’ve barely skimmed the surface with my list. What else can you add? How have others blessed you when you were facing medical issues or recovering from a surgery?