I’m so excited to welcome Rachael Phillips as my blog guest today! Rachael and I share the bond of belonging to the the same agency. I got to know her and her witty humor over cheesecake at an agency reception…Nothing like laughing off the calories, right? 🙂
Rachael Phillips (www.rachaelwrites.com), an ex-choir director, began her unplanned writing career when the church secretary demanded newsletter articles at gunpoint. Now an award-winning author, she has published four biographies, three novellas, and a novel, (two more to be released by 2013), plus 400 articles for newspapers, magazines, and collections. She and husband Steve live in Indiana. They have three grown children and five perfect grandchildren.
Welcome, Rachael! Let’s dive straight to the questions so you can get back to spoiling those grandkids of yours. 🙂
Opener Question: What seven words best describe you?
Redeemed introverted extroverted writer, Christ-worshiper, ice-cream addict.
1) Spring or Fall? Whoa, if you’d said summer or winter, I could have answered right away: winter! I’m not a sun goddess. But spring and fall are both my favorites. Hmm . . .since I have to make a choice here, fall. I live in Indiana, where our spectacular fall colors are a well-kept secret. I love the crispness of blue-sky days that energize me, the harvest of the land that mirrors this harvest stage of my life, fields of pumpkins, and the flavor of fresh- picked apples.
2) Fast and furious or Slow and methodical? Mostly fast and furious, unless you’re talking about cleaning closets.
3) Seattle’s coffee or Miami’s beaches? I might be more of a beach babe, if I had the body to match! Given reality, I’ll take a hot cup of Seattle’s coffee, a rainy day, and an equally delicious and stimulating book.
4) Martha Stewart wannabe or Let someone else decorate? Let somebody else do it! Somebody who can tap nails into walls without the opposite wall cracking in a million places.
5) Pepperoni pizza or Veggie pizza? I’ll take veggie pizza, as long as you go light on the onions. I like pepperoni, but I get the feeling I’m snarfing down a thousand calories per bite.
6) Bike ride or Stroll through the park? Bike ride. My husband and I bought a tandem bicycle after our youngest started college, an empty-nest gift to each other—a dream come true that turned into a nightmare until we both learned to give a little! After a month or so back in Marriage 101, it became our favorite fun pastime. I wrote an article about it for Marriage Partnership magazine (check it out at http://www.christianity.com/christian%20living/features/11622785/).
7) Beethoven or Beach Boys? I enjoy both, but if I have to make a choice, I’ll take Beethoven. I often play classical music while I write. It brings out the creativity in me, yet doesn’t distract me the way Christian contemporary or rock does.
Wow, lots of fun tidbits in these answers, Rachael! I agree with you 100% about fall. It’s my favorite time of year. And I’d be right there with you at the coffee shop in Seattle, bundled in my sweater, and reading a book. Now the tandem bike? I’m not so sure how my hubby and I would survive that adventure. We’d probably be signing up for Marriage 101 too. Sounds like you and your husband figured it out though…What a neat hobby to share together.
Thanks for visiting today! It was a pleasure to have you.
The Greatest Show on Earth
The widow of a too-daring Hollywood stuntman seeks a stable, risk-free life in an Indiana small town—only to find her twins performing in a circus and herself taking the biggest risk of all: a new love.
Cedar Creek Seasons
Linked like every-one-is-different charms on a Pandora necklace, the shops, galleries and historic stone architecture of Cedarburg, Wisconsin invite artists, tourists—and four romantic novellas in a winter-spring-summer-fall collection called Cedar Creek Seasons.
In Tune with You, by Rachael Phillips: Twenty-five-year-old Francesca, part-time choirmaster, plans a magnificent cantata for Easter until her pastor requests she include children. Enter a tone- deaf children’s drama coach—and his rowdy troupe.
Blog Readers: Let’s talk…Have you ever ridden a tandem bike? What’s the most adventurous bike trip you’ve ever taken? Or if you’re not a biker, what’s your favorite outdoor activity on a perfect fall day?