For years, I denied the truth. But no longer.

I’m a word nerd and proud of it.

I realize this shouldn’t be a surprise since I write books and everything. But it took me a while to accept and embraceΒ the brain God gave me.

Here are some signs that you, too, may be a word nerd…

5)Β You work on the daily crossword while watching Wheel of Fortune and get giddy when one of them solves the other.

4) You reprimand your child, butΒ stopΒ when you realize you said the word “that” too many times.

3) When asked what your favorite book is, you answer, “The thesaurus.”

2) You get excited when you find alliteration in your grocery list.

1) In your mind, it’s perfectly normal to wear war paint while playing Scrabble.

Top 5 Signs You're a Word Nerd | www.sarahforgrave.com

Can anyone relate to these? What other things prove you’re a word nerd like me? (Don’t be ashamed. You’re among friends. :))

Top 5 Signs You’re a Word Nerd

52 thoughts on “Top 5 Signs You’re a Word Nerd

• October 17, 2012 at 7:05 am

These are great. I’m a word nerd because I cannot listen to songs with lyrics that have grammar mistakes in them.

• October 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

LOL, Julie, I recommend avoiding country music then…and rap. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’m a word nerd because when I am talking to someone and realize I have made a grammatical error. I start over. I play scrabble on line and I believe there are several who have donned war paint. I especially like your #1.

• October 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I love that you start over when you make a grammatical error, Cecelia. The sign of a true word lover. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 8:20 am

Yes, I’m a word nerd too. I can’t even send texts with typos in them. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 8:40 am

I like to make up new words just for fun!!! lol Love this list and am sticking it up on FB! πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 8:58 am

Me, too. If I’m ever thrown in jail, it will be because I spray-painted the apostrophes in the RIGHT places on signs.

• October 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

LOL, Rachael, The officers in jail will have to watch their grammar with you around. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

Sarah, you crack me up!! War paint. Heh. That’s about right when it comes to me and my husband playing against each other in Scrabble. We can’t do it. We always fight. Although we CAN play Words with Friends, because there is a moderator regarding the dictionary used…

• October 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oh goodness, Lindsay, I can’t begin to tell you about the epic Scrabble battles that have ensued in our house. It’s best for our marriage if we play with other people. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love the alliteration grocery list one. You stop someone as soon as they’ve said a beautiful word and say it over and over again as though caught in a dreamy state of delirium. Yeah, so not something *I* would do. πŸ˜€

• October 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Smiling, Wendy. I’m remembering times at the retreat when someone would say something especially beautiful, and the whole room would say, “Mmm.” Beautiful words are almost as lovely as chocolate. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

TOTALLY giggling over the “overuse of THAT” part – which is so me!!! Love word nerds! Perhaps this is why we are friends??

• October 17, 2012 at 9:57 am

War paint. Must put that on my grocery list.
    Word nerd = wanting to red line typos on restaurant menus and road signs. Word nerd = making words up from the the letter scramble on license plates. (Yes, this is a bit distracting when I drive.)

• October 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

LOL, Beth, Now I have a new distraction for when I take a road trip.

• October 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’m trying to convince myself it’s not a sin to see how many words I can make from the word “remembrance” on the communion table when the sermon fails to fully capture my attention.

• October 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm

LOL, Sarah, Now that’s a great distraction! (er, a nuisance of a distraction) πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

Guilty as charged. I want to correct typos everywhere: signs, menus, books I read… especially the apostrophe in “y’all,” a good Texas word. I see “ya’ll” all the time and it drives me crazy. “That” drives me crazy, too, and I do a word search in everything I write.
    My most nerdy thing, though, is keeping a word doc open continuously so I can check spelling and grammar in emails and comments like this one!

• October 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Oh my goodness, Sherry, I love your word doc idea. I may have to copy it, lol.

• October 17, 2012 at 10:30 am

Reblogged this on vonildawrites and commented:
    I have truly been enjoying Sarah Forgrave’s blog. This one had me giggling. I’ll also post my usual Werd Nerd Wednesday. Meantime, enjoy!

• October 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

I get lost in the dictionary when I go to look up a word.

• October 17, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am probably not as much of a word nerd as I should be. But I am a story nerd…I freak out over awesome stories and want to talk about them forever and dissect them and inevitably someone always feels the need to remind me the characters I’m talking about aren’t real.

But I will admit a fondness for alliteration–but more when it’s accidental. πŸ™‚ And I love it when I have those moments when a word I’ve used over and over suddenly looks so strange on the page. Haha!

• October 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I so know what you mean about repeating words, Melissa! And amen to accidental alliteration. πŸ˜‰

• October 17, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m a total word nerd and proud of it. I’m the reigning Boggle champ in my family. I love the sounds of words, the way they roll around in my mouth, trip on my tongue and spill over my lips. Words RULE! Now I think I need to make a T-shirt!

• October 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Yes, Lisa! Make extra t-shirts for all your blogging friends too. πŸ˜‰

• October 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m definitely a word nerd. Words are some of my favorite playthings!

• October 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Followed Voni over from her site. I like words… I’m just not sure I’m smart enough to be able to sport the title of “Word Nerd”! but a fella can dream can’t he?

• October 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

This is so funny! I love my thesaurus! I try not to be smug about it, but I find great satisfaction in correcting people misuse words πŸ˜‰ I’m a nerd too!

• October 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Oh yeah, Amy. Best to savor the smugness all for yourself. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Lol! I love number two. I chide newscasters when they say words wrong, or speak in slang. They’re supposed to be word nerds, too! It especially bugs me when they say ‘nother. Like, “That’s a whole ‘nother story.” Ick!

• October 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Good point about newscasters, Cindy! Surely they have an editor, right? πŸ˜‰

• October 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’m a word nerd because sometimes (okay, many times) when I’m talking to someone, and they’re about to respond (in that split second), I imagine what they’re going to say (or what they SHOULD say)! πŸ™‚ Maybe that’s a story, or dialogue, nerd. Ha! I love the sound of words, I love their meaning and I especially love when I can find a much better word to use than the common one.

• October 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

LOL, Gabrielle, a story or dialogue nerd…now I have a whole other post idea. πŸ™‚

• October 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Ha! These are great. Whenever I catch myself being redundant while teaching, I usually stop mid-sentence to correct myself. Big problem! πŸ˜€

• October 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm

It’s funny I believe I have always been a word nerd. A little tight on the grammer, missed that lecture. until my father when I was 14 sad he would buy me the book of everywhere you could publish your writing, poems and one short story back then. Then years later your best friend says you should use your blog posts and turn it into a little 365 of meaningful thought to keep your brain going. Then a writer who I believe to have God given talent tell me that tells me a bunch of things on a reply I wrote but this stood out. “WOW … what a poetic way with words you have, my friend, and I hope you are nurturing your own “seed,” one that clearly indicates the gift of writing. Especially with the wealth of emotional experience you’ve undergone with trials in your life.” So Sarah Hi I am a Word Nerd and my name is Jennifer………

Blessings~Jenn

• October 18, 2012 at 12:25 am

So happy Beth Vogt shared this or I may never have seen it. So funny!

• October 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

Total word nerd here. Complete, 100%, no denying it. And I love it. πŸ™‚

• October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Might as well be proud of who we are, right, Rhonda? πŸ™‚