Life has a way of slipping by, doesn’t it? When I realized almost a year had passed since my last blog post, I knew it was time to drop in and share what God’s been doing lately. And man, has He been busy! Here’s just a sampling…

In the early part of 2013, I went through what I called a season of sacrifice.ย God had asked me to lay down my writing for a season, to honor Him by knowing Him more and pouring myย heart into my family. It was a beautiful, weightless season that grounded me and strengthened my faith.

Then shortly after, I announced to my Facebook friends that I’d signed my first fiction contract–a novella project with three other authors that was to release with B&H Publishing in October 2015. One month later, I learned that B&H was closing their fiction line and the novella project was off the table.

All this time, a new story had embedded itself deeper in my heart and mind, and I felt a distinct pressing from God to start writing again. I had a few Moses moments and said, “Are You sure, God?” To which He said, “Go.”

So here I am, back to juggling writing and motherhood and life in general. Let’s just say there are moments when I ask, “Can’t You call me back to a season of sacrifice? It was sooo much easier focusing on You and my family.”

But just like God led the Israelites through the desert–His cloud and pillar of fire telling them to sit still at times and then move at others–the same is true for me. I don’t necessarily know whereย I’ll end up, but I’m trusting that He knows. And in the meantime, He’ll provide enough manna and quail to sustain me. (Or a personal chef and housekeeper would suffice.) ๐Ÿ™‚

So that’s where I am, friends. Still doing my best at this thing called life. I may pop in here from time to time, but I’m not at a place to commit to regular posts yet.

Noย matter what season you find yourself in, I pray this post finds you in the center of God’s will, breathing in His deep and lasting joy.

God bless,
Sarah

A Season of Work: When God Says Go

24 thoughts on “A Season of Work: When God Says Go

• January 13, 2014 at 10:09 am

So happy to hear from you, Sarah! I’ve found myself in a similar place these past several months, and I so enjoyed reading where you’ve been and how God is speaking to you. God bless!

• January 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, Heidi! Funny how many of us find ourselves in the same place, isn’t it?

• January 13, 2014 at 11:01 am

Hello sweet Sarah! How wonderful to see you in my inbox this morning! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I, too, had to step away from writing for a season. When I was able to jump back in, the publishing world had changed so much, but I don’t regret for one moment the decision to focus on family and other commitments. You did the right thing.

I know God is continuing to work through you and your writing, and I’m believing in extraordinary things for you, agent-mate and friend!

(((HUGS)))

• January 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I love your vote of confidence, Cynthia! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sometimes I feel like I’m slogging, but nothing worth attaining comes without a little pain, right?

• January 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Love these words, Sarah, because it seems that you and I are living parallel lives right now. A season of life with young children and a heart for writing– it calls for sacrifice in some areas (like you, I’ve set aside my focus on writing to focus on my family) and the ability to balance and juggle our requirements in other worlds. Praying for you, friend. Know I understand completely!!

• January 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Let me know when you enter the season of perpetual vacations in the Bahamas, okay, Jenny? Maybe we can time them the same again. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hugs!

• January 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Joyce Meyer says, “When the cloud doesn’t move, you stay put.” But when the cloud moves…

Looks like it’s moving. ๐Ÿ˜€ You will have all you need, to do all that you need to do.

Waving and smiling.

• January 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

So nice to read what God is up to in your story, Sarah! I’m excited to watch what this year holds for you!

• January 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

It’s always amazes me how God whispers to us what the next plan us. Sometimes! Other times we don’t hear him and fumble along. Sounds like you are right where he wants you!

• January 13, 2014 at 8:55 pm

So true, Terri. There’s definitely been some fumbling along too. ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hello, my friend! Loved seeing this post show up in my inbox. And even more, loved catching a glimpse of where you are in this journey of life.

• January 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

It’s so nice to see you here again, Sarah. I know just what you mean about the seasons in life. I took a bit of a break after ACFW and have now picked up my pen once again. It feels good to be “back in the saddle again,” but also a little strange. I’m praying for you as you adjust to this new season. I’ll even add a couple of prayers in there for a chef and housekeeper. I wouldn’t mind reciprocation… ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm

So glad to know I’m not the only one adjusting back to the saddle, Gabrielle. And I’ll definitely reciprocate the prayers… ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 14, 2014 at 12:56 am

Sarah, it’s great to hear from you and catch up on your news. I hadn’t realized your novella was one of the projects that went by the wayside when B&H ceased publishing fiction. I’m so sorry to hear that.

I’m excited to hear that you’re writing again. Doing so while working and mothering will be challenging, but if the Lord’s called you to it, I trust Him to make the time you need for it. I wish you oodles of enjoyment as you put words on the page.

• January 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

Thanks so much, Keli. Enjoyment is something that gets sucked away with stress, but I’m learning to manage the stress and find the fun again. ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Great to hear from you, Sarah! I love how you listen to His voice. Blessings in this season!

• January 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm

It’s nice to see what’s been going on with you this year! I’ve missed seeing you, but of course, I understand completely. Blessings to you and your family! ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I’ve missed dropping by my blogging friends’ sites as well, Karen. Blessings to you too!

• January 14, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Sarah,

I’m awed by your season of sacrifice. What a beautiful thing and what a precious offering to the Lord. In this new season, as you wait so patiently and savor what’s around you, I applaud you as you keep going at the pace that feels right for you. Sometimes taking a step back is just the thing to do. Hugs! It was lovely meeting you in person at ACFW!

• January 14, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Yes, Joanne, It was lovely meeting you too! And thank you for your encouragement. Doubts come and go, but the voice of peace stands firm.