Prayers for Hope and Healing is officially spreading its wings to fly this week!
As I’ve talked with people about the experiences that shaped this book, I’m reminded that my life journey has been vastly unique. Many hours have been spent in the hospital, from the time I was four years old watching my sister battle cancer, to the year-and-a-half spent dealing with my own health issues, to the months watching my sister wait for a heart transplant, to the recent medical crisis of my son.
The hospital is such a strange place that brings both fear and peace, angst and hope. If you know someone in the hospital, you may struggle to recognize what they need. You want to help but don’t know how. Maybe you’re planning to visit them, but you don’t want to show up empty-handed.
Each person’s needs are different, but here are some gift ideas that can be especially meaningful for someone in the hospital. Some of these work best for a long-term stay, while others can be helpful for shorter stays too.
Whether you want to cheer up a friend or simply let them know you care, allow these ideas to be a springboard of comfort and hope.
- Eye mask for better sleep
- Comfortable slippers
- Lap pillow with a hard surface for writing or setting a book on top
- Sugar-free gum or mints
- Quality shampoo, conditioner, and body soap in travel-size containers
- Box of ultra-soft Kleenex
- Therapeutic lotion (nothing overly scented!)
- Crossword puzzle book
- Coloring cards and colored pencils (These cards are some of my favorites.)
- iTunes gift card so they can download music or a new game on their phone
- Healthy snacks
- Travel Yahtzee or another game that can be played alone or with someone else
- A novel or collection of short stories
- A copy of Prayers for Hope and Healing
If you want to include a card of encouragement with your gift, I’m currently offering two free printable cards to my newsletter subscribers. They include a brief message and encouraging Bible verse. (You’ll also get a couple extra freebies when you sign up!) 🙂 You can subscribe using the form below this post or by clicking this link.
Thanks for celebrating Release Day with me, and happy gift-giving! 🙂
*photos by Jana at Twigy Posts